Making Inferences

This term we have been learning to infer character emotions in a text by using the text clues and our prior knowledge to say how the character could be feeling. Using this, we read the text ‘Hairy Bear on the roof’ by Joy Cowley and described why the characters emotions changed throughout the text and inferred what they might say or think.

Jianna: “I can infer that Hairy Bear and Mrs Bear are feeling sad because the roof has a hole.”

Mehtaab: “I noticed that Hairy Bear is putting his hands on his face because there is a hole in the roof. I infer that Hairy Bear is feeling confused that there is a hole in the roof.”

Shorya: “I can infer that Hairy Bear is feeling happy because he fixes the roof.”

Prisha: “I can infer Hairy Bear is feeling scared because he is falling off the roof.”

Talia: “I can infer that Hairy Bear is happy because he grabs onto the roof. He’s thinking he’s going to be safe.”

Mehreen: “I can infer that he’s feeling scared because he’s falling down. He is thinking I’m going to fall in the bush.”

Mayra: “I can infer that Hairy Bear is feeling scared because maybe he is going to get hurt from the bush that has thorns.”